Chase from Revere ends with manhunt in Peabody

PEABODY – After a manhunt in Peabody last night, Massachusetts State Police arrested a man who fled a traffic stop in Revere.

At 9:28PM on Tuesday, January 31, Trooper Matthew McDevitt observed a white Audi traveling east on VFW Parkway in Revere with defective tail lights. The trooper queried the registration and determined the inspection sticker was expired. He activated his lights and stopped the Audio just before Butler Circle. A Revere cruiser backed him up as he exited his cruiser.

The male driver acknowledged having a suspended license and no ID or registration in his possession. The trooper asked the driver to get out of the car and put his hand on the driver’s side door frame, at which time the driver revved the Audi’s engine, threw the gear in drive, and fled the stop. The driver sped onto North Shore Road going south and running red lights.

State and Revere officers searched the area with negative results, and notified the Peabody Police after the vehicle’s registration came back to an address in the city.

At 9:50PM, State Police K9 Sergeant Michael Fiore and K9 Trooper Brian Bonia, along with Trooper Stevie Browning from the Danvers Barracks, observed the yellow 1997 Audi A8 in Peabody with a driver matching the description of the driver in the Revere stop, a black male with dread locks and wearing jeans.

The suspect bailed out of the Audi on Nancy Road in Peabody and fled on foot. State Police dogs were deployed immediately and initiated a search. Numerous other troopers and Peabody officers joined the manhunt.

Meanwhile, Trooper McDevitt and other troopers responded to 4 Essex Lane, an apartment building and the address to where the Audi was registered. At 11:31PM, troopers observed a man matching the suspect’s description walking toward apartment 2C. The man appeared to be out of breath and his jeans were covered in mud.

Trooper McDevitt recognized him as the man who had fled the stop in Revere. Troopers approached and ordered him to the ground. Once again, the suspect began to run away again for about 20 feet, but eventually complied with the order. The suspect had a laceration on his hand.

Troopers identified the suspect as Leroy Frederick, 39, of 4 Essex Lane, Peabody. Further investigation revealed that Frederick’s license was revoked in October 2008 for four years for being a habitual traffic offender. He also had three outstanding warrants from Dorchester District Court.

Meanwhile, troopers found a double-edged knife, secured inside a nylon sheath, in the passenger compartment of the Audi. The suspect told troopers he got the knife at a flea market in Brockton.

The suspect was transported to Lahey Clinic North in Peabody under State Police guard for treatment of a cut on his hand sustained while climbing a fence, and then taken to the Revere Barracks to be booked.

In addition to the warrants, Frederick was charged with operating to endanger, failure to stop for police, defective tail lights, possession of a dangerous weapon, resisting arrest, operating a motor vehicle while license is revoked as a habitual traffic offender, red light violation, and speeding.

He was held through the night pending an expected arraignment in Chelsea District Court Wednesday.

Get the Best Local Distractions
Subscribe to our Daily Distraction e-mail to read our latest cover story, product spotlight, or restaurant review from across the North of Boston region!
Pretty Sweet Stuff
Want to learn how you can #GoLocal across the North of Boston region? Sign up for our Daily Distraction email to read our latest & favorite features!
Kane's Donuts - Saugus, MA
Thank You!
For Signing Up!